We interrupt this blog’s normal posting schedule to announce the nominees for the Sunshine Blogger Award!
Yay! The wonderful and amazing Aliya DalRae has nominated me for the Sunshine Blogger Award (two nominations in two weeks, wow!) This one really warms my heart because it’s specifically for people who bring inspiration and sunshine to your day! Thank you for the nomination, Aliya (and for show me that you can BLOG on Goodreads)!
Like the Liebster Award, this is a “get to know you” award where nominees answer questions and then pose their own questions with their 11 new nominations.
Here are the 11 questions given to me (nominees and next round of questions are below!):
1. Which author, living or dead, would you want to have dinner with? What would you talk about?
I think Stephen King. He’s pretty consistently been my writing hero since high school. 🙂
2. Where do you get the names for your characters?
Nowadays, I tend to figure out the ethnic background of my characters and name them accordingly. I often change the spelling so that it’s a little more fantasy-like but I’ve found this ensures the names are all very different (just like the characters!).
3. What is your favorite board game? Memories of playing it?
Ooh, that is really hard. I have played a lot of board games! If we’re going to stick to games played on boards, I really like House on Haunted Hill. This surprises even me because that game manual has ALL of the problems but it’s fun, it’s cooperative, it’s suspenseful, and there’s spooky and creepy stuff/monsters in it.
4. Have you ever broken a bone? If not, what is the worst injury you have sustained?
Never broke a bone but I thought I did, once. Probably the worst injury I’ve sustained is a really bad ankle twist a few years ago that probably tore the tendon. It took weeks of physical therapy and rest to heal and that injury still flairs up if I push to hard sometimes.
5. Aliens come to Earth, benevolent creatures who cure our planet of all its ills. They offer to take you to their plant for a “vacation”. Do you go?
Heck no! Aside from general paranoia and having seen that particular episode of Twilight Zone, I’d be too busy exploring the newly renewed planet Earth.
6. Are any of your characters patterned after someone you know? Who and why?
No, while I will do things like imagine what my dad would do when I need a character to be fatherly, I don’t always have that character do the same thing (there are lots of ways to be fatherly) and I shy away from basing fictional characters on real people. My characters need to be their own people and I’m too paranoid about people seeing themselves in my work, anyway. I want to be able to put up that disclaimer that says any likenesses are accidental.
7. If you couldn’t be a writer, what would your dream job be? Why?
My original career goal was bioarchaeologist. It offers travel, Indiana Jones with bones, and getting to study and learn new things about the peoples of the past. Plus, I could still have my dog.
8. Vin Diesel or Dwayne “The Rock” Johnson?
I…can’t…choose! Can I have a hybrid? I mean, Vin Diesel tugs at my heart because he’s a gamer and a fantasy geek. But Dwayne “The Rock” Johnson is so funny and fun!
I guess I’d go with Vin Diesel but it is a reeeeeaaaaaallllly close choice.
9. Do you have pets? What are they, what are their names, and are they allowed to sleep with you?
Yes, I have a black lab named Zoe and several fish (and an African Dwarf Frog). The first and frog obviously sleep in their tanks but Zoe definitely sleeps in the bed with me. In fact, when we moved apartments and I replaced my old bed, I got a bigger bed to accommodate my bed hog of a hound!
10. Christmas or Halloween? Why?
HALLOWEEN NOW AND FOREVER. It’s the one time of year where I can be as creepy as I want and I can share my love of spooky imagery with others and no one bats (ha! get it?) an eye.
11. Are you currently published? Either way, what are you working on now? Go ahead – pimp your work!
I am not! I’m working on my first novel, lovingly nicknamed Something Awesome and Also Fire (SAAFire) because I don’t yet have a real working title.
Since I just did the Liebster Award nominations, where I focused on those WordPress blogs that I follow, I’m turning to Twitter this time for my nominees. This list (in no particular order) is:
I’m not sure everyone on this list blogs but I’m using this as a way to point out 11 people who have brought sunshine to my day (or, rather, my Twitter feed). If you wish to answer and don’t have a blog, the comments section on this post is always available! 🙂
Speaking of questions, here are the 11 for the next round:
- What do you write and why?
- What is your favorite quote and why?
- If you could change any moment in your life, would you?
- What did you think of the Game of Thrones finale (if you don’t watch GoT, what did you think of the last finale you watched)?
- If you could choose any artist (writer, artist, musician) to spend a day with, who would you choose and why?
- Have you ever gone skydiving?
- Have you traveled out of your home country (if so, where)?
- What is one major thing that will make you put down a book and never finish it?
- What is one major thing that keeps you reading until the very end?
- Who or what inspires you to do what you love?
- What is your spirit animal?